Ordinary Steps to Become an In Covenant Member at Mercy Hill
While every individual and family coming into membership with our congregation is unique, here is a typical timeline and ordinary sequence of steps for someone coming into membership. After someone visits the church a few times, they can expect to...
- have the opportunity to meet with the pastor either individually or as a couple to discuss interest in church. During this time, they can also expect to find answers to any questions they may have (Ideally this meeting takes place within a month of your first visit);
- be invited to sign up for a "Getting to Know Mercy Hill" lunch at the pastor's house, in which an overview of Mercy Hill's unique beliefs and doctrines are, in an informal context in which questions can be asked;
- given a chance to fill out the online in covenant membership application, which includes some basic contact information (see below to start the process), as well as your previous church background and previous church contact information.
Once the in covenant membership application is filled out, someone from our staff will reach out to you to schedule an interview with two of our elders.
To prepare for this interview, you will be guided through a 20-minute online-elder interview preparation course, in which you will provide answers to a few basic questions about your Christian faith, and be guided through explanations of some basics of membership at Mercy Hill.
After your elder in-covenant membership interview, you can expect:
- to hear from one of the elders who interviewed you about whether nor not your membership interview has been approved;
- added to the Church's members-only database for communications
- added to one of our congregation's Family Fellowship Groups; and
- scheduled to be introduced to the congregation as a whole at a New Membership Sunday at Mercy Hill, including planning any details regarding the sacraments of Baptism and the Lord's Supper
Thanks again for your interest in membership at Mercy Hill. Please click here if you'd like to email our church office with any specific questions about this page.
We look forward to hearing from you soon!
During your interview, you will be asked to answer the following five questions, which summarize what we believe the Bible teaches about basic Christianity:
Do you acknowledge yourselves to be sinners in the sight of God, justly deserving His displeasure, and without hope save in His sovereign mercy?
Do you believe in the Lord Jesus Christ as the Son of God, and Savior of Sinners, and do you receive and rest upon Him alone for salvation as He is offered in the Gospel?
Do you now resolve and promise, in humble reliance upon the grace of the Holy spirit, that you will endeavor to live as followers of Christ?
Do you promise to support the Church in its worship and work to the best of your ability?
Do you submit yourselves to the government and discipline of the Church, and promise to study its
purity and peace?
If you have any questions about these questions or about any other aspect of church membership, please make a note of them in the field provided above so that you may mention them during your interview.